Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Pizza night & HG special

Monday, March 2, 2009

Pizza night & HG special

Eric is such a lucky husband, sometimes I give him the meal he wants just because he asks for it. I originally wanted to make Cuban Pork Chops last night because the weather was a perfect sunny day, maybe around high 70 degrees or so. Perfect BBQ weather for us. However, Eric would have to clean the BBQ grill up so we could cook up the pork chops. Around 5pm, I asked him what do you want, Pork Chops or Pizza? He said pizza because it's easier. I said fine, let me start dinner. I also made a great salad from Hungry girl, it was a perfect accompaniment.

I bought my cast iron skillet a couple weeks ago, and have been looking for multiple uses of it. I came across Ally's blog for Culinary infatuation and she has made several cast iron pizzas that look delicious! I cheated and bought already made pizza dough from Trader Joe's...hey it only cost less than $1.50 for already made pizza dough. Ally does give a great recipe for deep pizza dough...which I should have done, but I wanted to make dinner in 30 minutes or less. It came out looking soooo good, but I really wanted a crispier crust...which I neglected to pre-cook the dough crust for 5 minutes before putting all my wonderful toppings.

I'm going to make this again using the pizza dough recipe, homemade pizza is always such a treat because you pick your toppings and how much you want on it. :::nom nom nom:::

Deep Dish Skillet Pizza adapted from Culinary Infatuation


Deep Dish Pizza
Toppings:
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Havarti cheese, sliced finely - about 3 to 4 slices
1/2 cup Quattro formaggio shredded cheese
1 Tbs. dried oregano
pepperoni slices, about a handful
1 to 2 Italian sausage (sliced)
1/2 cup or more pizza sauce* I used leftover tomato soup*
2 Tbs. red onion, diced finely
2 Tbs. red and green bell peppers, diced
2 Tbs. fresh chopped basil

Preparation:
Grease your cast iron skillet and preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Roll dough into a rectangle and using hands make the closest to a circle with the dough as you can using your fists.
Transfer dough to a large cast iron skillet.
Spread dough around the skillet and up the sides. Make it as even as possible.
Layer the marinara and dried oregano and spread spread evenly with a spoon.
Add pepperoni & sausages and then top with the remaining cheese and basil.
Cook on bottom rack for 15 minutes, then transfer to the top rack for about 5-10 minutes so the cheese gets nice and bubbly brown.

Let pizza rest about 10 minutes and cut into slices with a pizza cutter. You're going to need a fork & knife, too!


HG Special Salad Adapted from Hungry Girl
**I omitted the cup of chicken from the original recipe, since I wanted a simple salad.**

Ingredients:
3 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
1 roma tomato, chopped
1/4 cup of cucumber, chopped
1/4 cup of sliced carrots
1 Tbsp. red onion, chopped fine
1 Tbsp. canned chickapeas, drained
1 Tbsp. canned corn, drained
1 Tbsp. canned beets, drained & chopped
1/4 shredded parmesan cheese *I used mozzarella cheese since I had shredded so much for the pizza*
*added 1.5 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive oil & a drizzle of balsamic vinegar*
*Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste.*

Add all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. I love the beets in this salad, it gives a great flavor!
Pin It button on image hover