Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Low-Carb Chicken Enchiladas

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Low-Carb Chicken Enchiladas

There is something about enchiladas that I love, the tasty fillings and creaminess of the cheese. However, they are always loaded up with fat & so much more. I love this tasty alternative, and I've been making these for quite sometime now. I can't even find the original recipe to this because an old co-worker gave me the copied pages from her low-carb cookbook.



Low-Carb Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Low-Carb Cookbook ?

Ingredients:
1.5 cups of cooked chicken, cubed
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 can of green chiles, diced (6 oz)
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, diced
3 green onions, diced
1 bar of low-fat cream cheese
1 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese
6 to 8 low carb Mission Tortillas - they are so light and perfect for this meal.
12 oz of Enchilada Sauce - I made my own with this recipe.

Preparation:
1. PREHEAT oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl add chicken, cumin, cream cheese and 1/2 cup of reduced cheddar cheese and mix well.
3. In another bowl, add tomatoes, cilantro, green onions & chiles together and mix well. Remove 1/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. You will use this to garnish the enchiladas.
4. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce over the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish.
5. Add the mixture with the cheesy chicken and mix well. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla and roll up. Place, seam-side down. Top with remaining cup sauce and remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese and the veggie mixture.
6. Bake for 20 minutes.

Review: This is a staple recipe in our house and always an wonderful meal for Eric & me. I served this with saffron rice & chips & salsa/guacamole on the side. I love my enchiladas with a little bit of sour cream, too.
Pin It button on image hover