Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Molasses Coffee Marinated Pork Chops

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Molasses Coffee Marinated Pork Chops

Another great recipe from AB that I knew would love. I've been trying to make dishes that focus on great flavor, low on my budget, and using ingredients that I already have. This recipe had all these components, I brewed an extra cup of our "Bux coffee, picked up some pretty chops at TJs and picked some thyme from my herb garden! It also helps when I do my food prep and marinade the night before I prepare the dish, I love how that cuts down my actual cooking time! My only real concern was reusing the marinade as a sauce since it held my raw meat the night before...but AB did it, and I followed his recipe regardless.


Molasses Coffee Marinated Pork Chops
Adapted from Alton Brown - Episode Pantry Raid X: Dark Side of the Cane

Ingredients:
1 cup cool strong coffee
6 ounces molasses, by weight
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 (6 to 8-ounce) bone-in, 1-inch thick pork chops

Directions
1.Place all of the ingredients into a 1-gallon zip top bag, seal, and shake to combine. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
2.Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Remove the pork chops from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and boil gently, stirring often, until reduced to about 1/2 cup liquid, 12 to 15 minutes.
4. Remove the thyme stems after the glaze has reduced.
5. Meanwhile, grill pork chops 3 to 4 minutes per side or until they reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees F. Allow the pork chops to rest 4 to 5 minutes before serving with the glaze.

Review: I served my chops with roasted veggies & potatoes. These were pretty darn tasty, and I loved that the molasses & coffee added a richness to the pork chops. It was a nice change from the cuban style pork chops that I usually make. I love when Alton Brown utlizes ingredients in my pantry & garden, it's a very low budget & healthy meal! Next time, I would add more garlic and some additional spices, it needed a little heat to spice up the dish!
Pin It button on image hover