Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

Oh fall, I love you. I love you because of the flavors, falling of the leaves, pumpkin spice lattes and the wonderful filling comfort food. Soup is one of those meals that I love during cold nights. However, in SoCal...that's in my sweet dreams. We are still pushing 90 degree days, and fall weather won't really happen till maybe later this month. One of my favorite soups to enjoy is tomato soup with a grilled cheese. I feel like a little kid whenever I have it, I like to dunk my grilled cheese in my soup...it's just heavenly. This soup from Ina Garten is a great way to use up those tomatoes from your garden, and basil, too. I love the simplicity of this soup and the flavors really come together. It's best paired with some crackers or my favorite grilled cheese with prosciutto.

Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup
Adapted from Ina Garten

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped red onions (2 onions)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
4 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (5 large)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup packed chopped fresh basil leaves, plus julienned basil leaves, for garnish
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
3 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream

Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 10 minutes, until very tender. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, basil, thyme chicken stock, salt, and pepper and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are very tender.
2. Add the cream to the soup and use a hand blender and mix until smooth. Reheat the soup over low heat just until hot and serve with julienned basil leaves.

Review: This soup is excellent, rich, creamy and I loved it. Secret is make your own stock, it doesn't taste the same when you use store bought or those chicken broth. Thanks Ina!
Pin It button on image hover