Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Peppermint Bark

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Peppermint Bark

I've taken a little cooking break after Thanksgiving...it's been nice to not blog, photograph my meals, and not cook. I thought I would never say that, but I'm happy to say that my kitchen is the cleanest it's ever been from the lack of cooking. However, I'm not feeling like a Scrooge since the holidays are closer. What the heck, how did Christmas come so fast?

One of my favorite treats, Peppermint Bark, had inspired me to bake & blog again. WOOT WOOT!! My wonderful girlfriend, Arminda, wanted to make a bunch of office treats and goodies as a thank you to her co-workers. This treat is a bite of Christmas, and I could eat this by the buckets! Since we were going for the wow factor, we made 4 batches of the recipe...geesh it was the biggest bar of chocolate to cut up. But I had plenty to share with Arminda, her office, my office, gym friends & even a little baggie for my fellow nestie, Becky! It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas. Enjoy!

Peppermint Bark
Adapted from Joy of Baking
Printable Link
Ingredients:
6 ounces semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped **Use Bakers or Lindt's not baking chips**
1/3 - 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract **Optional, but I like the addition of the minty chocolate**

Directions:

1. Peppermint Bark: Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, smoothing out any wrinkles.
2. Melt the semi sweet chocolate and 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Immediately pour the melted chocolate into the prepared pan and tilt the pan so the chocolate makes an even layer. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.
3. Then, melt the white chocolate and remaining 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Mix in the peppermint extract. Immediately pour the melted white chocolate over the dark chocolate and tilt the pan so the chocolate is in an even layer. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes evenly over the white chocolate. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, or until the chocolate has set.
4. Remove the Peppermint Bark from the pan by lifting the edges of the aluminum foil. Peel back the foil and break the bark into small irregular pieces. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.

Option 2:
Add the melted chocolate into the prepared pan and spread it out. Add the next layer of melted white chocolate and swirl it using a toothpick to get a nice decor effect. Sprinkle crushed candy canes. Let cool in refrigerator.
Makes about 25 pieces. **I used a clear baggie & added a mini Christmas ornament for that extra Christmas touch. Voila, treats in a bag!!!




Review: Amazing and easy to make, a perfect office treat to share with everyone.
Pin It button on image hover