Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Guacamole

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Guacamole

There is something about guacamole that I love. Maybe because it's a fruit, and it's healthy for you - something about those "good fats." The buttery and delightful flavors that I taste when I enjoy my food at Chiptole. Or maybe because it's the perfect dip for tortilla chips. My default choice for guacamole is sold at Costco, Wholly Guacamole. It's amazing and we always have it for our parties because it's hard to make your own guacamole. I think I have finally found the perfect recipe, and I don't even have to use limes. After I took this picture, I proceeded to eat the entire bowl...it's that good! But you have to use California avocados...it's the only way to go.



Guacamole
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Ingredients:
4 ripe Haas avocados
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
8 dashes hot pepper sauce
1/2 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 medium tomato, seeded, and small-diced
1 tsp of cumin
1 tablespoon of cilantro, chopped finely

Preparation:
1. Cut the avocados in 1/2, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh out of their shells into a large bowl.
2. Immediately add the lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic, cumin, salt, and pepper and toss well.
3. Add the tomatoes & cilantro. Mix well and taste for salt and pepper.

Review: I love this guacamole because it's flavorful and fresh and mainly because I didn't have to use limes. Thankfully with my fully stocked fridge & pantry, I didn't have to run to the store and get any extra ingredients. This will be my trusty recipe from now on!
Pin It button on image hover