Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Berry Special Muffins

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Berry Special Muffins

I love blueberry muffins, my friend Lori L.O.V.E.S. blueberry muffins, and my husband, Eric, LOVES LOVES LOVES blueberry muffins. I came across this recipe while I had printed a coupon for blueberries from FloridaCrystals.com. I love that it's organic and a natural sugar because I recently watched Food, Inc. I always had preferred natural and sustainable-meat and organic products and shopping at the farmers markets, and this movie touched on interesting subjects about what I can do to make sure that the food I eat is safe. You just have to watch the movie, and make the right choices for yourself. I'm not going to tell you what is right or wrong for you, but I'm going to do what is right for myself and Eric and hopefully our future children. I've been reading Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and Food Rules and it's been giving me great insight on the history of where our food stems from and some memorable rules to follow for eating wisely (that I've already had set for myself even before reading this book).

But my main point is that I made these blueberry muffins with good intentions. These blueberry muffins are delicious and full of flavor, the juicy blueberries as I bit into the muffin was heavenly. Most importantly, using organic or natural ingredients was the best choice.

Berry Special Muffins
Adapted from Florida Crystals.com
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups *organic* all-purpose flour (half-wheat & half-regular)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup lowfat yogurt
1 tablespoon of lemon juice = squeeze of half a lemon
1/4 cup milk *organic*
1/3 cup firmly packed Organic Brown Sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 cup fresh or frozen (such as blackberries, blueberries, cranberries or raspberries)
*I used fresh blueberries*
Crumb Topping:
1/4 cup *organic* all-purpose flour (or use half-wheat & half-regular)
2 tablespoons firmly packed Organic Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, softened
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups; set aside.
3. In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; set aside.
4. In large mixing bowl combine yogurt, lemon juice, milk, brown sugar, vegetable oil, and egg. Add the egg mixture all at once to the dry mixture. Stir just until moistened. Fold in berries.
5. Prepare the crumb topping: Stir together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or fork, add butter and blend until crumbly. Using an ice-cream scooper, spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with crumb topping.
6. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm or cool.
Yield: 12 muffins

Review: Tasty and perfect, using fresh and organic ingredients is one of the easiest choices for eating wisely. But you know what I feel is most rewarding, is that cooking from scratch is beneficial to my body, my health, and to the many wonderful hard-working farmers out there. Don't worry I'm not to be a crazy organic nut-case about my cooking, but I'm going to make better choices....that's all. Food rules, check it out.
Pin It button on image hover