Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Cuban Chicken Fricassee

Monday, February 22, 2010

Cuban Chicken Fricassee

My husband, Eric, cooked dinner this past weekend for the familia. We were celebrating our cousin, Veronica, and my belated birthday together. (We share the same exact birthday, yipee, and it's great because no one can ever forget our day!) However, I had an ugly bike accident a week ago that left me with a black eye, a busted lip, scrapes on my arms, chest & my right knee, it's a freaking miracle that I didn't break any bones. My ego and body were badly bruised and cut, so with the doctors orders...I've been taking it easy. Luckily though, I've been recuperating quite fast but I've been taking a break from the kitchen, hence the lack of posts.

So Eric gets all the credit for this post, because all I did was chop the potatoes and bell peppers. He did everything else, but whenever Eric does get the opportunity to cook in our kitchen, he has two resources that he relies on the most, his mother & the Food Network. He called his mom for this recipe and he tweaked it to his own liking as well. He picked this cuban dish because it has great flavor, its' great for crowds, and tastes even better the next day. We all loved it, and hopefully our cousin, Veronica, can now make it in her own little kitchen. Here you go prima, this served 6, so you can cut the recipe in half if you are making it for 2 or 3 people. Enjoy!


Chicken Fricassee
Adapted from Eric's mom
Ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
4 1/2 pounds chicken thighs (or use chicken breasts or mixture of both)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 heaping tablespoons of cumin
3 heaping tablespoons of sazon completa
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 cup dry white wine (aka vino seco)
1 cup burgundy wine
1 cup water
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup stuffed green olives
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions:
1. Season the chicken with sazon completa (enough to cover both sides of the chicken)and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Warm the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onions & bell peppers. Heat until translucent, then add garlic and saute for 1 minute. (Be careful not to burn the garlic).
3. Add all the chicken to the pan. Add the rest of the ingredients: cumin, red wine vinegar, tomato sauce, red & white wine, water, olives, and potatoes. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
3. Reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer for 35 minutes. Serve with white rice & spoon sauce over chicken.

Review: I love when my husband cooks, he does a wonderful job every time. This was simply delicioso!
Pin It button on image hover