Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Chipotle's Lime-Cilantro Rice

Friday, March 5, 2010

Chipotle's Lime-Cilantro Rice

One of my good friends, Alex, loves Chipotle. If you were to ask him where he would recommend for lunch and dinner, his first response would be to say "Chipotle!" I can't blame him for loving their food, its kinda like the Subway version of Mexican food - you pick and choose what you want and it's made fresh in front of you. What I love most about Chipotle is that they uphold the "Food with Integrity" mentality of organic produce, farm-raised, local farmers, natural...you know fresh food, how it's supposed to be without all that antibiotics-crap and extra supplements. I've been wanting to duplicate some of the great food that Chipotle produces, but sometimes I find myself just visiting my local one. They have the best guacamole, but my chicken salad is one of my favorite dishes from there, too.

I made this side dish to pair with the chicken enchiladas that we made on Wednesday night, and it was a perfect pairing. Cameron, my girlfriend's daughter, made the cutest sound when we told her that I made the rice just like Chipotle. She looked at me with her wide-eyes and smiled made this "noosh, noosh" sound by clicking her tongue to her roof (it was hilarious), and happily dove into her bowl of rice. She asked me "Why'd and how'd did you do that?" I kinda laughed, and told her that I found the recipe so we could make it at home. She smiled and said "awesome!" I agreed and we happily ate dinner, it's awesome when you can make good food at home.

Chiptole's Lime-Cilantro Rice
Adapted from Macaroni & Cheesecake & Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Ingredients:
1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice (I used jasmine rice and it was just as good!)
1/2 lime, juice of
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon butter

Directions:
In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, butter and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute. In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and toss until completely mixed.
Serving: Makes for 6...but you might want to think about doubling it, because it might disappear faster than you think.
Review: Absolutely delicious, just like Chipotle. It's light and fluffy, and melt in your mouth yum yum good!
Pin It button on image hover