Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Low fat Oatmeal Banana Bread

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Low fat Oatmeal Banana Bread

I love freshly baked banana bread, and my go-to recipe is usually my Blueberry banana bread but I was not in the mood to blueberry up my bread. I decided to use this recipe because it was new and from shockingly from Weight Watchers! Since I've been trying to cut back on the calories everywhere I can, I thought this might be worth trying. I cut back on the calories anywhere I can and exercise...so I can drink more wine. That's my excuse, so hate me, what's yours?

Low fat Oatmeal Banana Bread
Adapted from the Weight Watchers.com & seen on Joy the Baker
Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons canola oil
1 large egg
2 egg whites
3 large bananas, ripe
1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 tablespoon of turbinado sugar
Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients including the oats and cinnamon.
2. In a smaller bowl, mash bananas with a potato masher or fork. Add oil and whole egg and mix thoroughly.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Batter will be fairly thick.
4. In a medium sized bowl, with an electric hand mixer, beat the egg whites until medium stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites & walnuts into the batter in three additions.
5. Pour batter into pan, sprinkle turbinado sugar on top and bake until top of loaf is firm to touch, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip out and cool on a wire rack for another 10 minutes. Slice loaf into 10 equally sized slices.

Review: Pretty darn good banana bread! It's the perfect midday snack or perfect way to start your day. You can make this without the walnuts and turbinado sugar to make it worth 4 points a slice. But I like the little crunch action of the turbinado for my banana bread, try it out!
Pin It button on image hover