Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Breakfast Tortilla Casserole

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Breakfast Tortilla Casserole

Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day, and lately I've been keeping it simple with a bowl of fruit and yogurt. I was in a cooking mood yesterday and decided to make a breakfast casserole to enjoy at my work. I also had to clean out my fridge and use up some vegetables and cheeses before they spoiled. I had just finished baking a beautiful batch of juicy strawberry scones. I realized that I had half a bag of corn tortillas leftover from the chicken enchiladas that I had made for dinner last week when Becky was over. I knew that I should use them up before they went bad and decided to experiment with my go-to casserole recipe. Both of my favorite cheeses are in this dish. I love using goat cheese because it gives a nice tang to the casserole, and gouda has a sweet nutty flavor that I love as well. Enjoy!

Breakfast Tortilla Casserole
Original Krystal Recipe
Ingredients:
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 to 3 green onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup ham, diced - or any protein of your choice
1 cup gouda cheese, shredded, plus extra for garnishing on top
6 ounce Goat cheese, crumbled
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 tablespoon Badia seasoning (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Line the bottom of the dish with 4 tortillas. Make sure the bottom is covered.
3. In a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients (tomatoes, ham, bell peppers, cheeses, eggs, milk, thyme, and Badia seasoning) together and mix. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add 1/3 egg mixture on top of the tortillas. Add another layer of tortillas, and repeat. Garnish with the extra gouda cheese.
5. Bake 45 to 60 minutes until set. Remove from the oven & let the casserole cool for a few minutes to set before slicing into 12 to 16 servings.
If you want to make this a day ahead, just keep it in the fridge covered and bake the next day.

Review: Eggscelent breakfast!!! Wowie, I love cleaning up my fridge because I come up with some fantastic dishes to enjoy. This would be a nice brunch dish to serve up for Mother's Day, too!
Pin It button on image hover