Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Chicken Adobo

Friday, April 30, 2010

Chicken Adobo

My mom makes the best chicken adobo, and she would have make it for my sisters and I at least once a week. Chicken adobo is basically stewed meat with vinegar and soy sauce and lots of garlic. You knew that this was on the dinner menu when you could smell the sweet aroma of garlic frying away in the kitchen. I love this dish because the salty and tangy flavor from the sauce. I served it along with stir-fry bok choy and steamed rice. You'll never get enough of adobo, you can substitute the protein for pork, beef and even tofu. It would be just as flavorful!

Chicken Adobo
Adapted from my mom - original Krystal recipe
Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts, cut up into 1 inch pieces
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce (Don't use low-sodium - I recommend an asian based soy sauce preferably a Filipino one)
1/2 cup vinegar (I recommend an asian vinegar -Distilled vinegar is too strong)
1/2 cup water (if needed)
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 to 2 bay leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preparation:
1. Combine all ingredients in a large dutch oven or large pot. Cover and marinate chicken for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. When you are ready to cook the chicken, bring the dutch oven to boil and then lower heat. Cover and let simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Uncover and simmer until sauce has slightly reduced or thickened - it should look a rich dark brown color. If sauce is too thick or salty, add a little bit of water. Season with salt & pepper. (I like my adobo a little more sour, so I add just a splash more of vinegar.)
4. Serve with steamed rice. I love adding the adobo sauce over my steamed rice - it's better than soy sauce.

Review: This isn't my mom's recipe, but it's still a good comparable. My mom didn't have measurements for me, she would say a little bit of this, and a splash of that. You need this much garlic, and never saying the actual amount. The best thing about adobo is its versatility and adaptability - make it to your tastebuds. I like my version a little sweet and sour compared to my mom's. Now, I need to figure out how to make lumpia and beef sinigang.
Pin It button on image hover