Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

This is a typical Sunday morning conversation for Eric & I:

Me(8am in the morning or earlier because I'm the first to always wake up): I'm hungry! (shaking him to wake up and batting my eyes)
Eric(still sleeping, kinda opens his eyes): ALREADY? (rolling back over to sleep)
Me: Yes, come on, I want breakfast already. You're going to help me make breakfast right?
Eric: No, I want to sleep more...let's cuddle! (He tries to grab me and hold me down while I try to slip away)
Me: Come onnnnnn, I want breakfast now.
Eric: Give me 10 more minutes (which always ends up 30 minutes).
Me: Alright, as long as you help me. (stomach is growling)
Eric: Fine.

For some reason, I'm always starving on Sunday morning. It's mainly because I'm a morning person, and I have my breakfast right away in the morning - Eric is completely different - a night owl. He loves sleeping in and does not function well until after 10am on Sunday mornings. Regardless of Eric, I'll go and prepare breakfast for the both of us while he continues to sleep. But sometimes I like the help in the kitchen, because while I prepare the main dish, he can also prepare the bacon. This particular Sunday morning, I wanted a hearty and light Easter breakfast for the both of us. Eric fried up the bacon, we had a fresh pot of Gavina coffee, eggs over easy, and these delicious Whole-Wheat Buttermilk pancakes. These pancakes were excellent and easy to make, and a perfect way to start the day.

Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from Cooking Light March 2010 edition
Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (3.4 oz)
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (3.6 oz)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
cooking spray
3/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons butter
Preparation:
1. Weight or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just intil moist.
2. Heat a nonstick griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon about 3/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Serve with syrup and butter.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size 2 pancakes, 2 tablespoons syrup and 1 1/2 teaspoons butter)
Calories: 347; Fat: 99.g; Protein: 7.4g; Carb: 59.2g; Fiber: 2.3g; Chol: 53 mg; Iron: 2.1mg; Sodium: 520 mg; Calc: 197 mg
Review: I was really surprised by these pancakes because they were so fluffy and light. I didn't use regular maple syrup but reduced calorie syrup to lower the calories, but overall it was such a great Easter breakfast.
Pin It button on image hover