Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Blueberry Banana Walnut Bread

Monday, May 17, 2010

Blueberry Banana Walnut Bread

I have a pet peeve about bananas because I love to eat them when they are under ripe - not quite yellow with a touch of green. It's kinda weird, but I love the taste of it. However, I refuse to eat yellow and black yellows, and it gets beyond edible and is too mushy and sweet for me to tolerate. A great remedy to the solution for all those leftover ripe bananas is my favorite banana blueberry walnut bread recipe. Most people would just make banana bread, but I love adding fruit to spice it up. The bananas make the bread extremely moist and mildly sweet, and the blueberries add bits of fruity burst-y surprises. Plus, you have to add the walnuts for that extra wow factor. If you like bananas and blueberries, I think you’ll love them together. Plus the crunchy turbinado sugar compliments the sweet bread, too. Enjoy!

Blueberry Banana Bread
Adapted from Recipezaar
Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups very ripe bananas, mashed (about 3)
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt (I prefer buttermilk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup frozen blueberries (no need to thaw)
1 cup walnuts, toasted and halved into small pieces
2 tablespoons of turbinado sugar

Preparation:
1. Put oven rack on lowest position.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 2 loaf pans.
2. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Stir in eggs until well blended.
3. Stir in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
4. Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until just moistened.
5. Fold in the blueberries.
6. Divide batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Garnish with turbinado sugar on both loaves.
7. Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan.
8.  Loosen sides and remove bread from pans. Cool completely before slicing, about 2 hours.

Review: I had this recipe posted up in the beginning state of my food blog, and the pics and post were horrendous. I'm so glad to have redone the post and updated it again for everyone to enjoy. I love this blueberry banana bread, it's a great way to get your antioxidants and breakfast in the morning. This recipe is always in rotation in my kitchen. ;-)
Pin It button on image hover