Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Tomato Sauce

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Tomato Sauce

I've been a little MIA for the past couple of weeks since the passing of my Nanay Maring (my grandma). She passed away on July 12, 2010 and I had been working on her DVD slide show and scanning millions of pictures - and spending some quality time with my family. The family shared childhood stories of our Nanay, and even traded stories/jokes on her famous Filipino folklore's/anecdotes. There are so many wonderful memories that I have of my Nanay because she raised me since I was one year old.

My wonderful Tita (aunt) Elen pointed out that my gardening skills are from my Nanay. It was one of her favorite pastimes and I'm happy to say that I have inherited her gardener's thumb. It's been awhile since I've cooked in my kitchen. I thought this recipe was fitting for my first one back, and I'm dedicating it to my Nanay Maring. The San Marzano tomatoes in my garden are thriving, and for the most part I've been able to harvest at least 30 tomatoes. They are the best tomatoes to use for tomato sauces. Fresh tomatoes, onions, lots of garlics and basil and thyme were the major contributing components in this dish and enjoyable flavors that I love together.

Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Simply Recipes
Ingredients:
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds of fresh tomatoes (San Marzano tomatoes)
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chiffonade
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon of sugar
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preparation:

Heat a medium-sized dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and let it heat for a minute or two. Add the onions and sautĂ© them until translucent, about 10 minutes or so. Add the garlic and let it cook for one minute. Mix the onions and garlic well.

Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, thyme leaves, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a slow simmer and add the cover to the pot. Let it cook covered for 20 minutes.

Using a food mill, add the cooked tomatoes in over a large bowl and push the tomatoes through to have a thicker and smoother consistency. Remove any tomato skins that cannot be grinded down. Serve with your favorite pasta or use a dip with garlic bread. Enjoy!

Review: This is a wonderful tomato sauce to make and enjoy with any pasta. You can easily substitute canned tomatoes if you don't have fresh tomatoes. Using fresh tomatoes from my garden is so rewarding - and we're truly enjoying the fruits of our labor. More tomato recipes are to follow soon! Nanay you will always be remembered forever in our hearts. The greatest gift you gave us was our family, and for that I will always love you Nanay.
Pin It button on image hover