Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Eggs in a hole

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Eggs in a hole

I love our weekend breakfasts, I always make something for Eric & me to enjoy versus our normal "Peanut Butter & Jelly/ Coffee breakfast "during the week. I usually make waffles in the morning on the weekends with our Cuisinart wafflemaker...it makes the best waffles. But I had a craving for french toast, and had remembered my Top Chef: The Cookbook had a recipe! This comes from the quickfire challenge where they had to make Padma breakfast.
French toast is pretty basic, but I loved this interpretation of eggs in a hole, eggs in a raft, eggs in a basket, bird's nest, or my fave "One-eyed jack." I can't wait for the new season to start tonight!
Ingredients:
**1 grapefruit**I omitted this, because I didn't have any!
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 slices multigrain toast
4 thin slices proscuitto (I didn't have any, so I substituted canadian bacon)
Maple syrup for serving.

Preparation:
1. In a wide, shallow dish, whisk together 2 of the eggs, the milk, sugar, salt & cinnamon.
2. Using a 2 1/2 inche round biscuit cutter, cut a hole in the center of each of the 2 slices of bread. Put all 4 slices of bread in the egg mixture and let them soak for 1 minute on each side.
3. In a saute pan or skillet large enough to fit in the bread slices in one layer, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When the foam subsides, carefully transfer the bread slices to the pan. Crack 1 egg into each hole in the bread slices. Cook until the bread is well browned on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Gently turn the slices over and cook until the second side is well browned, about 2 minutes.
4. Place 1 of the holeless bread slices on each of the serving plates. Lay 2 slices of the proscuitto/canadian bacon over each and top with the bread slices with egg. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve immediately.
Pin It button on image hover