Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Turkey Pumpkin Chili

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Turkey Pumpkin Chili

An awesome wonderful fellow nestie, Cara, posted this on her blog. Once I saw the title, I knew that I had to make it. I couldn't resist the pumpkin and turkey combination. I did make a couple changes to Cara's original recipe, changed the chili powders (only because I never have chili powder - just a random variety of other ones) and added butternut squash. I forgot to add the frozen corn at the end, too! The velvety mix of the pumpkin & chopped butternut squash adds a rich texture to the chili. It just melts in your mouth, and the lovely hint of cinnamon gives a perfect balance of sweet & savory. I took Cara's recommendation to add the pumpkin ale, and I've been drinking it all week long. It's my new fave beer to drink (and I don't like beer).

This makes a good-sized batch, and I brought half of it to my girlfriend, Angel. She is home resting from her arm surgery, and I knew this would be a nice taste of homecooking for her while she recovered. I still had enough to share with another pumpkin fan from work, already wanting the recipe!

Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Adapted from Cara's Cravings

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped onion, I did a mix of red & sweet mayan
3 to 6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium sized bell peppers, diced (any color)
1 lb ground turkey
1.5 tsp ancho chili powder
1.5 tsp new mexico chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 small can diced green chiles
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
15 oz can pumpkin puree, or 2 cups homemade
1.5 cups of butternut squash, diced small
12 oz bottle of pumpkin ale
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped finely

Directions:
1. Add 2 tablespoons of Extra virgin olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until just softened. Add the garlic and bell peppers, and cook about 5 minutes more until tender.
2. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, and oregano.
3. Add Pumpkin Ale in after the vegetables and turkey are cooked and let most of the liquid evaporate before adding the remaining ingredients.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes to blend flavors and add the fresh chives in.

Review: Loved this chili, I love that it's savory and not too sweet. Pumpkin surely does make everything better! Thanks again Cara for creating a yummy recipe!
Pin It button on image hover