Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Pork Stir-Fry

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pork Stir-Fry

Whenever I am meal planning for the week, I look for a couple of quick and easy dishes to prepare during the week. I’ll pick a couple new recipes to make, and sometimes make our go-to favorites, too. I’ll try to vary the proteins that we eat, so it’s not always chicken for dinner. I picked this recipe because it was from my diet book and I had some leftover pork chops in the freezer. Stir-fry dishes are great to make because you throw a couple vegetables, lean proteins and add a little bit of seasoning, and wham – it’s dinner. LOVE. IT. It’s like a kitchen sink dish, add x amount of ingredients to make one tasty dish.

This pork stir-fry dish came together rather quickly, and it also helped that I prepped the veggies the night before. I find that when I set-up my ingredients the night before I cook dinner, it shaves off a couple minutes of prep work. I also set out the pots on the stove that I will be using, too. I’ve been using stevia as my sugar substitute because it’s natural and comes from an herb. You can choose to substitute real sugar if you’re not counting calories and add other vegetables that you like, too. This dish was scrumptious and the sauce was a bit sweet and spicy and paired perfectly with brown rice. Wok it out for this pork stir-fry!Pork Stir-Fry

Pork Stir-Fry
Adapted from BFC
Printable Recipe
Ingredients:
1 pound boneless pork chops, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
1/2 cup water chestnuts, drained and sliced
1 cup bean sprouts
2 packets of pure via or stevia
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon Liquid aminos (optional)
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
Sides - 2 cups brown rice cooked


Preparation:


In a large wok or skillet, heat the extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high eat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute, and add the pork pieces and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the broccoli, carrots, bean sprouts and celery and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.


In a small bowl, mix the stevia, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, liquid aminos, and sesame oil together. Pour liquid mixture into the wok and stir to combine. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes or until the pork is no longer pink and fully cooked.


Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onions. Serve with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and 1 cup of pork stir-fry.


Yield: 4 servings (1 cup of pork stir-fry with half-cup brown rice)
Nutritional Info: Calories: 380; Sugar: 3g; Carbs: 31g; Fiber: 7g
BFC(3/2)

Pork Stir-Fry2

Review: This was a tad bit spicy than I usually like, but it was delicious. It was like having Chinese food at home without the take-out boxes and very similar to sweet and sour pork without the extra calories! I’ll definitely make this again, maybe adding some toasted cashews for bit of texture and crunch and I’ll add less of the red pepper flakes, too.

Pin It button on image hover