Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Belgian Waffles

Friday, September 21, 2012

Belgian Waffles

Happy Friday and hello weekend!

I have been fighting the ugliest summer cold and cough since the beginning of this month. I had been sick the first week of the month, and I got better, then my husband got sick, and then he got better...then I got it back again. It's not fun coughing throughout the night and having the sniffles all day long while tending to my almost 5 month daughter. I even lost my voice for a couple of days and thankfully I'm back to feeling like my normal healthy self. Luckily, Elena hasn't caught our colds and has managed to stay healthy this entire month, too.

I'm so happy that the weekend is finally here, and we have no major "busy" plans. I love a lazy weekend every now and then to recuperate from terrible cold. One of my favorite ways to start the weekend right is having a fantastic breakfast to start the day. During the week, my go-to breakfast is typically eggs and toast, oatmeal or yogurt and granola. Something very simple and easy to prepare in less than 10 minutes. I love spending a little extra time to make a big breakfast for Eric and I.

We have a regular waffle maker and not a Belgian waffle maker and the end results still came out scrumptious. The club soda or seltzer water makes the batter light and fluffy. You can top the waffle with fresh fruit or powdered sugar to jazz the waffles up a bit. I paired it up the Belgian waffles with over-easy eggs and crispy bacon to complete the meal.

Crispy and light golden waffles and the perfect way to start your day.
Belgian Waffles
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated
ZipList Add Recipe
{Printable Recipe}


Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup dried buttermilk powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup greek yogurt (or sour cream)
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups unflavored seltzer water

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees and make sure oven rack is in the middle position. Place baking sheet in oven and set cooling rack on counter. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, buttermilk powder and baking soda. In a Pyrex measuring cup, whisk the yogurt, eggs, vanilla, and oil to combine. Gently stir seltzer into the wet ingredients. Make well in the center of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir until just combined. Batter should remain slightly lumpy with streaks of flour.

Heat a waffle iron and bake waffles according to manufacturer's instructions (about 1/3 cup for 7-inch round iron). Transfer cooked waffles to the baking sheet in the oven and hold for up to 10 minutes before serving with butter and maple syrup.

Yield: 8 (7-inch) round waffles


Review: These are absolutely delicious and if you have leftover waffles they can be easily re-warmed in the toaster oven. Fantastic weekend breakfast.

Pin It button on image hover