Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Spiced Pumpkin Bread

Friday, October 23, 2009

Spiced Pumpkin Bread

"Heeeeello lovvvvvveeeeeer! (in my best Carrie Bradshaw voice) Remember that "Sex and the City" episode where she sees the most adorable Manalo Blahniks in the window and cooed dirty talk to the most beautiful and expensive high heels ever. Well, I'm having that kind of moment with pumpkin. Crazy connection, but I'm in LOVE with pumpkin. I picked up 6 cans of organic pumpkin at my local farmers market, and I was super uber-duber excited to make more good treats with pumpkin. After searching all my pumpkin recipes, I've realized I did not have one for pumpkin bread. SLAP ME someone!!!

After my extensive research on Epicurious, Foodnetwork & Martha Stewart...I decided to go with the one I found on Epicurious. I checked out the reviews since I second-guess my recipe pick because I didn't want this pumpkin to go to waste! Bon Appetit has been my new favorite recipe finder for everything. I finally subscribed to the magazine, and will be getting it next month. This is the best pumpkin bread that I have tasted, rich, balanced, velvety, and perfect blend of spice. That's everything nice...about pumpkin! I took this lovely batch to work, and it was gone with 10 minutes. Everyone said it was the best pumpkin bread they have had.



Spiced Pumpkin Bread
Adapted from Bon Appetit

Ingredients:
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
3 large eggs *I used cage free*
1 15-ounce canned pumpkin
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 10 inch loaf pans. Beat sugars, oil and applesauce in large bowl to blend. Mix in eggs and pumpkin. Sift flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, salt and baking powder into another large bowl. Stir into pumpkin mixture in 2 additions. Mix in walnuts, if desired.
2. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Transfer to racks and cool 10 minutes. Using sharp knife, cut around edge of loaves. Turn loaves out onto racks and cool completely.

Review: Easy. Sweet. Delicious. WINNER! I know shoes and pumpkin are a far stretch from each other, but my inner Carrie Bradshaw couldn't help it. Kisses to pumpkin!
Pin It button on image hover