Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Pumpkin Waffles

Monday, October 26, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles

Another pumpkin post for my pumpkin loverrrrrs! Breakfast is not only the most important meal of the day, it's my favorite meal of the day. I love scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, corned hash, omelettes, muffins, bacon, sausage, and more...I could go on and on. I had pumpkin pancakes saved in my google reader for sometime to make for breakfast, but Eric does love waffles more. Eric even made a special visit to the store for me since my SACO cultured buttermilk blend had dried out, big oops that I forgot to refrigerate after opening. I'll remember that tip for next time I purchase it. The hardest part of this recipe is whipping up the egg whites if you don't have a KA mixer, let it do the work for you. I also used the wrong beater blade, note to self - wire whip blade. I did add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to get the extra fluff of the egg whites. The fluffy egg whites mixed with the waffle mix really accentuate the lightness of the waffle. The pumpkin puree does weigh the mix down a bit, but the fluffy egg whites take that affect away. It does make a big batch of waffles, I think this recipe can make about 10 to 12 waffles. Maybe I'll be having pumpkin waffles for dinner tonight?


Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons, unsalted butter - melted for brushing on waffle iron

1. Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.
2. In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks (as in, far softer than the over-beaten whites). Folk them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.
3. Brush waffle iron lightly with unsalted butter and spoon batter (less than 3/4 cup for my Cuisinart) into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp. Make more waffles in same manner.

Review: Absolute heaven, add a little sprinkle of confectioners syrup, and a side of crispy bacon...it's a great Sunday breakfast. What can I say, I love pumpkin.
Pin It button on image hover