Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Turkey Meatballs

Friday, January 22, 2010

Turkey Meatballs

It's been awhile since I had made meatballs and spaghetti for dinner. It's an easy meal to make at home whenever I'm feeling un-inspired or not creative, but that wasn't the case. I was trying to figure out how to make meatballs "healthier" and try a new recipe at the same time. Typically, I use a standard recipe of beef, progresso breadcrumbs, cheese, one egg, and seasoning. It's always a winner for us, but I came across this recipe on the Food Network and I had everything in the pantry to try this out. I was leery of using the broiler versus using the frying pan or baking the meatballs, but I was willing to try it out. These turkey meatballs are full of flavor, easy to make and pairs well with spaghetti or meatball sandwiches. Enjoy!

Turkey Meatballs
Adapted from Ellie Krieger
Ingredients:
Cooking spray
1 pound ground turkey meat
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
1/2 cup finely grated carrot
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:
1. Preheat the broiler.
2. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine the turkey with all other ingredients in a food processor. Form into 2 1/2 -inch balls and place on a baking sheet. Broil for 10 minutes, or until browned and almost entirely cooked through.

Review: First time I ever used the broiler, and these meatballs were pretty good. I liked the addition of the carrots and fresh herbs in my traditional meatballs. They were juicy and flavorful, and perfect in a meatball sandwich.
Pin It button on image hover