Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Salsa Chicken

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Salsa Chicken

I've been in love with lime-cilantro rice lately, and I've been making it at least once a week ever since I've discovered how to make it. I was happy that this came up in my google reader yesterday from my WC Sis, Macaroni and Cheesecake! Stephanie has the prettiest and coolest blog, and she has a similar cooking style to me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how many ingredients were needed to make this recipe, and I had every item required. Before I saw this I was going to make a simple chicken marinade of lemon, garlic, salt & pepper, but this definitely kicked up our dinner an extra notch. I loved the simplicity of using salsa as a marinade, and the creaminess from the heavy cream tenderizes the chicken. It's an indulgent and easy meal to make and enjoy at home.

Salsa Chicken
Adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake and she saw it on Mary Ellen's Cooking Creations, originally from Rick Bayless Salsa's That Cook

Ingredients:
4 large boned, skinless chicken breast halves
one 16-oz. jar of chunky salsa, any flavor
½ cup heavy whipping cream (or fat-free half-n-half is what Stephanie used to lighten it up)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Light Sour Cream for topping

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Trim the chicken of fat & place the chicken breasts in one layer in the pan.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the half & half and salsa. Cover chicken with salsa mixture.
4. Bake on the bottom shelf for 30 minutes.
5. Top with the cilantro & sour cream.

Review: YUM! I loved that I made this in 30 minutes, and using a couple of ingredients to make dinner! FABULOUS!
Pin It button on image hover