Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Asian Glazed Chicken

Monday, August 16, 2010

Asian Glazed Chicken

Chicken and rice is one of my top meal combinations maybe because my mom would always make it for dinner when I was little. It's no surprise that I find dishes with chicken and rice so comforting and familiar. I came across this recipe at Skinny Taste because Gina strives for simply healthy recipes and that's what I'm trying to push forward with healthy and simple meals for us. This was another quick and easy weekday meal for Eric and I, and this is surprisingly similar to Chicken Adobo but with a couple additional ingredients.

Most of the basic ingredients I had in my pantry. However, Sriarcha and Agave nectar are two ingredients that I don't use enough in my normal go-to dishes. The spicy dressing that I had used on the spicy black bean sliders motivated me to use Sriarcha in other dishes. Agave nectar is the a new sweetener that I've been using in my teas/coffees and it tastes almost like a honey water. It has a mild flavor and so versatile to interchange sugar for agave. You can definitely interchange the sugar for agave if you don't have it in your pantry as well. If you're looking for a great chicken dish, this is definitely one to try. Yum!
Asian Glazed Chicken
Adapted from Skinny Taste
4 medium chicken thighs, skin on
2 chicken breasts, cut in half
Misto (Cooking spray)
1 cup water
1 tablespoon Sriracha (hot sauce)
½ cup white vinegar (asian preferred)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
4 teaspoon agave nectar (or sugar)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
2 tablespoons chives, chopped finely
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Preparation:

In a large dutch oven or saucepan, add a couple sprays from your Misto and let it warm to medium high heat. Sear the chicken for 3 to 4 minutes on both sides. Add the water, white vinegar, balsamic vinegar, agave nectar, ginger, garlic, Sriracha and cook on medium high until it comes to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cover the pot and let it cook for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bring heat back to medium high, letting the sauce reduce down. Let it cook for 5 to 8 minutes, rotate the chicken around in the pot to make sure liquid is being soaked.

Transfer chicken to a platter and pour additional sauce on top. Garnish with chopped chives and sesame seeds. Serve with a bed of white rice and veggies. Enjoy!

Review: This was really good and I was surprised by the skinny factor about it, too. (200 calories for 2 pieces of chicken ONLY if you don't eat the skin on the chicken.) I love how the agave nectar gave a nice a touch of sweetness and tang. It's definitely reminiscent of my mom's chicken dish with a couple extra ingredients. Simply wonderful and healthy for ya!
Pin It button on image hover