Mrs. Regueiro's Plate: Cantaloupe Agua Fresca

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cantaloupe Agua Fresca

There are many simple pleasures in life that make you go hmmmmmmm.

They are unexpected gifts of life that make you smile and enjoy that moment for as long you want. Things like seeing your baby crawling around the house and on the verge of taking her first steps. We have an ottoman set up in the center of our living room, and I usually have to put my slippers on top of it so Elena won't eat them. She's figured out how to pull herself up and grab my slippers regardless! The little booger loves to munch on shoes anyway she can but I'm super proud mama on her little steps to walking, too.

Sometimes when you receive an unexpected gift in the mail from a dear friend. I recently got a children's book for cupcake because my friend knew it would be perfect for us. It really makes you appreciate the value of your friendship and wished that you lived 10 minutes closer than 100,000 miles away. Thank you again Betsy for the wonderful book, "You are my Cupcake" is the perfect first book for my foodie kiddos.

Or sometimes it's the first sip of a beverage especially when you are really thirsty. You just finished cleaning the house or finished ten loads of laundry. The only thing you want is something ice cold to quench your thirst.  When you are really thirsty, that first sip of any liquid beverage is pure bliss. This cantaloupe aqua fresca translates to "fresh cantaloupe water" in Spanish, is exactly what it - refreshing and the perfect way to quench your thirst.

Cool and refreshing!
Cantaloupe Agua Fresca
Adapted from Chow
ZipList Add Recipe


{Printable Recipe}
Ingredients:
1 (3 pound) ripe cantaloupe or other melon, diced (about 4 cups)
3 cups cold water
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar, plus more as needed
Ice

Preparation:

Place the cantaloupe, 1 1/2 cups water, lime juice and sugar in a blender and puree until smooth.

Strain through a fine mesh strainer over a large pitcher, using a ladle or wooden spoon to press down on the solids. Discard the solids.

Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups water and stir to combine. Taste and add more sugar as needed. Refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour. Serve over ice.

Yield: 5 cups

Review: Best way to use ripe melon, and this recipe happened on accident. I bought cantaloupe hoping to eat it but I left it in the grocery bag and overnight it had ripened. Rather than toss it, I came across this simple recipe. Watermelon would be another great aqua fresca to enjoy, too!

Cupcake News: I can't believe I'm more than halfway over with my pregnancy. Here's last week's bump pic of me at 22 weeks! Cupcake is all belly compared to Elena. I'm starting to slow down a bit, and I sometime get bursts of energy. On Sunday night, I randomly wanted to clean the kitchen - from the countertops to the kitchen island and appliances because I wanted everything spotless.
Pin It button on image hover